Tuesday 6 January 2015

A Harrowing Find

I can't say I've found any real distressing discoveries in my research, but I have found one which my ancestor made.

The following is from the Morpeth Herald, printed 23rd August 1856.


NEWBIGGIN-BY-THE-SEA - On Wednesday last the body of man without head or hands was found by Mr. Adam Storey, near to Coquet Island. £2 10s in gold was found in the trowsers pocket. The description of dress on the body-striped doeskin trowsers, white cotton stockings, wellington boots, fancy striped shirt, common striped shirt, body flannel shirt, and flannel drawers. The body was landed at Hauxley. On the previous day the body of a man in a mutilated state was picked up at Cresswell.



Due to the news coming from Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, I can say that this is my 3x Great Grandfather, Adam Storey, father of the Grand Old Man.

I wonder if any cause for the mutilated bodies was found?

No comments:

Post a Comment