Tuesday 17 March 2015

St Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day truly is a day I reflect on my Irish heritage. I think of those in my family who were forced to migrate to England and Scotland to escape the potato famine, and simply to live.

There are quite a few Patricks in my family, and fortunately I am able to trace the name through to Scotland and all the way back to Ireland.
A pedigree of the Patricks in my family.
Spanning the generations.
The first Patrick I have in my family is Patrick Duffy, my 4x Great Grandfather. I don't know much about him at all, and his name only appears on the marriage and death certificates of his children. His wife's name, Margery Harkins appears on the certificates also. Six of their children went from Ireland to the area of New Kilpatrick in Dunbartonshire, Scotland in the late 1840s. One son, Patrick actually went to Massachusetts, USA.
Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit!

No comments:

Post a Comment