Wednesday 7 December 2016

John Storey of Morpeth

Just a short blog post this week, and I hope it is helpful to someone out there.

Around this time every year the whole house is cleaned more thoroughly, in time for Christmas. For me, that means I sort my papers out and file away anything that I haven't already. 

Amongst some of my papers I found this certificate which I purchased back at the start of the year. It is the death certificate of John Storey, a chaise driver from Morpeth. I mistakenly purchased his death certificate believing it to be the registration of my great-great-grandfather's eldest brother, who died when he was two-years-old. Thankfully, this is the only certificate I have mistakenly bought.

This John Storey died on 3 December 1847, at the age of 66. His cause of death was stated to be concussion of the brain, which he had endured for 14 days. John Storey's death was registered the day following his death by a woman named Margaret Moscrop, from Bridge Street, Morpeth, who was present at the death.



I checked FreeReg for a corresponding burial, and thankfully there was. John Storey was buried on the 10 December 1847, a week after his death. 

That same day a death notice appeared in the Newcastle Courant newspaper, which read as follows:

At Morpeth, on the 3rd inst., John Storey, chaise-driver, in consequence of a fall from a cart.

I found John and his family living at Market Place, Morpeth in the 1841 census. He is living with Mary, twenty years his junior, and three children; Mary, John and Sarah. I don't know if Mary Snr was his wife because the 1841 census does not specify relationships.

Hope this is of help to someone out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment